Pages

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

More about lines, and space

In two dimensions, on a canvas or on a wall or on paper, you start out with a solid, although it may be paper thin.  Lines are on it, they are not IT.  I want to capture space when I work in 3-D, Fred Sandback being my idol here.  But unlike Sandback, for most of my work I have had another idea, a concept that goes along, a story attached, like in House Divided at the side.  I've been using rolled newspapers of particular languages because rolled newspapers of random languages make no sense to me, why use newspaper?  But actually rolled newspaper is quite beautiful.  English will do, or Yiddish, the two languages I speak, and maybe they don't have to have a story.  I want to capture space.  Geometry is very meaningful to me, and beautiful as well, though wasn't to Sandback, at least that's what he said.  I am speaking in unvoiced language, including any system that conveys wordless meaning.

                         All that I know and All That I Want 5, water color & pencil, 10 x 16

Of course it is very possible to depict deep space in a painting or drawing.  But when I draw, I acknowledge that the lines are on a solid thing.  Space does not pass through.  So line becomes something else entirely for me, though line is always the start of anything I do, often in the form of text, even when in the end it's no longer visible.

No comments:

Post a Comment